January always brings the stockshow to Denver. When I was going to school here in Denver, I worked for an equine practice that did all the veterinary work for the horse shows. I never saw much of the livestock show when I was working but I developed a love for the draft horse shows. These horses are AMAZING! I always loved when we had one of these come into the clinic because, thankfully, they are the most calm, and gentle animals. I know Trav was just appeasing me but I really appreciated him being willing to go and watch these guys for a while.
We did go down and see all the livestock though. It brought back so many good memories of all the livestock shows that I participated in growing up. I talked to a couple of people about the rigorous process of even getting into the show. It is intense and you really don't even know if you are going to get in. She said that it is worth is though because if you make it into the sale you make BANK! I wouldn't mind making $110,000 for a silly steer, or $51,000 for a 250 pound pig. I am pretty sure that the most that I ever got for a pig was around $2,500 and I thought that I was rich.
The kids loved the petting zoo and "driving" the tractors. It made me a little sad that my boys will never really experience the lifestyle that I had growing up. I loved riding horses and going with my dad to gather cows at their age, and they never will get that chance. I guess I will have to ship them out to Meghan when they get older. :)

1 comment:
Send them any time!! You may just have to give our kids more of the cultural experience (museums, libraries etc:)
Post a Comment