Monday, October 13, 2008

Potty Training

For a while (what seems to be forever) I have been trying to force Jace to potty train. I have been so sick of changing his nasty poopy diapers that I decided on Saturday that it was time. With Shane I just let him run around without anything on and he really caught on fast that he didn't want to go on the carpet. Jace is a different story.

I call it "puppy moments". For anyone that has ever owned a dog, whenever you are house training them there are times when you can see that they are doing their buisness (#2) but you just can't get there fast enough. Well this has happened twice now with Jace. Once on our newly shampooed carpets the day before we moved from Alaska, and then again on Saturday. I was so frustrated and disgusted that I took him into the shower and made him take a cold bath. I know that this sounds callous and a bit mean ( I will admit that it made me feel a little better), but afterwards a lightbulb went off in my head. Hmmm....Jace hates the cold bath, so I wonder if I can hold this over his head to get him to go potty in the toilet.

We decided to try it out. I told him that every time he went potty in his pants he had to take a cold bath to make sure that he was clean. The kid went poop....in the toilet! This morning he said he needed to go and I was trying to get him to hurry because we were late for preschool. He looked up at me and said "Mom, if I get off I'll go poop on the floor and then have to take a cold bath." I guess it did sink in.

Now he runs around with his newly aquired light saber, (We were desperate for him to go poop in the toilet. Just adding to the arsenal of weapons to beat his brothers with) and I have not had to change a poopy diaper from him since Saturday. Here's to hoping that it lasts.

5 comments:

FrugalProfessor said...

That technique is ingenious. You ought to right a book on it. Tiff is thinking about potty training Megan this week...wish us luck.

Tiffany said...

That's awesome Allie. I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too horrible about it - we did it with Riley, too. Of course, I'm such a pushover that it was more like a lukewarm bath, but there was still a lot of screaming going on. :)

Brett sounds a little like Millie. She eats ANYTHING. I'm not sure where it goes - she's not even 20 lbs yet, but the girl packs it away. It's kind of nice, actually, after a picky eater...

ABBOTTLAND said...

Wow! That is awesome. Maybe I should try something like that with my Tyrone. He will pee in the potty but will not poop. I am not brave enough to keep the diaper off him. I just can't clean anymore poop off the floor.
Sometimes they just need a little push in the right direction :)
By the way, our daughters name, Niamh, is pronounced Neev. Gotta represent the Gaelic name.....
~Mandy

Trudy said...

Alli, maybe somewhere in the deep dark recesses of your memory is the vision of being hosed off outside for one of those "puppy moments". What parents do to their kids. Glad you didn't hold a grudge.